Saturday, October 2, 2010

Have You Had Your Awakening Yet???

Every now and then in life, we are blessed with the privileged honor of meeting people who inspire us. Luckily for me, I can say that during my musical journey I have encountered this rare phenomenon twice in the form of two very talented artists- Tha Centop & David Sha.
Now in order for you to understand the importance of my words, you first have to understand the importance of the word "talent." I have realized over the years that everyone possesses a talent, but what separates the gifted from the talented is an awakening of one's purpose in life. A talent is easily recognizable and considerably easy to put to use but a gift is something that's often locked away within your talent that can't be accessed until you have learned how to use your talent to benefit others, not just yourself. Contained within each of our talents is a limitless potential that will allow us to ascend to a cerebral place of personal harmony once we have awakened to the fact that our talent makes us part of something that's bigger than ourselves- and that's what unlocks our gifts. Now with all of that said, let me get back to my original thoughts...
My homey Tha Centop, who I just refer to as Top, is an amazing artist whose talent to convey thoughts through rhyme is a gift within itself. It wasn't until I was able to converse with him on an intellectual level that I learned how much more sophisticated his thoughts were in comparison to his rhymes- and if you haven't heard his lyrics then you can't truly appreciate that statement. I can honestly say that talking with Top was the 1st time I experienced the feeling of having a discussion with myself, and I have conversed with multitudes of people. This brother has a vision that has allowed him to put himself & his talent in the background in an effort to better the entire landscape of the same city that has tried to oppress him- if that's not a gift then I don't know what is. Never one to be concerned with personal accomplishments or accolades, I have witnessed Tha Centop use every platform he's been provided with to reflect the light off of him & onto those around him. As much of an underrated artist that he is, he's chosen to spread the word about other artists he feels are as underrated as himself- case in point myself, Kritikal and Rock Show who together with Top comprise The 4 Horsemen. This group, the NHO movement & a number of other artists are an extension of Tha Centop's vision and we're all very appreciative of his gift.
Speaking of gifts, until you hear David Sha in action you cannot appreciate the word anointed. God has truly blessed him with an unbelievable talent to not only be a great lyricist but also an amazing singer. I can say without hesitation that mister "Dibidi" is definitely the beast of both worlds- that's right I said beast, not best, it wasn't a typo! Even though I personally feel that he may be musically unmatched, his vision in my opinion is what places him in a lane that no one else can drive in. For instance, I have been bestowed with the distinctive honor of being a part of his project entitled "4 The Sistas." When I heard the title I just figured it was about the music because that's what talented artists are focused on, I was as far off with that thought as I was right on with it. The title wasn't about just the focus of the music, it was about the power of the music as well. He told me that the songs had to be uplifting because he was tired of artists using this platform to demean the most important gender on the planet & even more importantly all the proceeds would be going directly to breast cancer research- respect. Without shilly-shallying I told him I was on board! Sha's words in his music are all you need to hear to know that he has already realized his purpose, now the work is in just helping others to find theirs.
I'm not really sure what the purpose of this blog was other than inspiring others to inspire others. I myself hope that someone somewhere feels the same about their encounter with me as I feel about my encounters with Tha Centop & David Sha. Entertainment is so much more than just entertaining, it's about capturing & stimulating the hearts of those whose attention you have. We all have talents but until we figure out that we are part of something bigger than we could ever be we won't unlock the limitless potential contained within our talent. So if you want to transform from simply talented to gifted, ask yourself this- "Have I had my awakening yet?"

No comments: